Director of Development, Student Affairs and Services - Michigan State UniversityCompany: MSU
Date Posted: August 2, 2017
Director of Development, Student Affairs and Services
Michigan State University seeks a results-oriented Director of Development to lead a fundraising program for the Division of Student Affairs and Services. The Division serves the entire student population of the university through a variety of organizational entities. All of this support is rooted in three over-arching themes for the student population: leadership development and experiential learning to facilitate transition; student engagement through identity and affinity; and an enhancement of a lifestyle rooted in health, wellness, and safety. This division requires an experienced development officer with a strong entrepreneurial spirit and creativity in linking philanthropic passions to programs of interest. In addition to facilities-based fundraising priority, this Director will have to assess both programmatic activities of the division and potential philanthropic investors. Starting with a strong strategic focus based on past fundraising success, this Director will work to build a portfolio of approximately 150 individuals by holding approximately 12 meetings a month with prospective donors. To accomplish these objectives, the Director will work closely with both the Vice President of Student Affairs and Services, and the Executive Director of Constituency Programs.
As Michigan State University strategically positions itself to successfully conclude a comprehensive campaign with a goal of raising more than $1.5 billion, this Director will play a pivotal role in planning and leading the campaign for the Division. With an effort that focuses on raising money for programmatic, endowment, and expendable support, the management of a volunteer fundraising board will also be an important part of the Director’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year degree program in communications, public relations, marketing, business, liberal arts or other field.
- Three - five years of progressively responsible experience in higher education development, not-for-profit development, outside sales, public relations or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of tax laws affecting charitable giving.
- Valid driver’s license.
- A master’s degree
- Five-seven years of progressively responsible experience in higher education development, not-for-profit development, outside sales, public relations or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with prospect management processes or related strategic relationship development.
- Ability to travel both in-state and out-of-state.
- Ability to work weekends and evenings.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills and intellectual curiosity.
- Collaborative team-oriented style.
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
How to apply
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Andrew Watkins, Executive Director of Constituency Programs at email@example.com.
All candidates must submit an application and resume through the Michigan State University Human Resources web-based system www.careers.msu.edu. Please indicate the position number 453111 when submitting your application.
Screening of applicants will continue until the position is filled.
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities.