Campaign Coordinator - Access to Justice CampaignCompany: Access to Justice Campaign
Date Posted: August 8, 2017
Access to Justice Fund Seeks Campaign Coordinator
The Access to Justice Campaign seeks a Coordinator to develop and execute campaign strategies to generate funds to help low-income individuals in Michigan gain access to the civil justice system.
Access to Justice Campaign Description
The Access to Justice Campaign was established in 1997 to increase resources for civil legal aid organizations in Michigan. The campaign is a partnership with the Michigan State Bar Foundation (MSBF), the State Bar of Michigan and Michigan’s nonprofit civil legal aid programs.
Based on national research and data about fund development for civil legal aid, the ATJ Campaign is currently being restructured because there is an opportunity to significantly increase resources for civil legal aid in Michigan. Oversight of the ATJ Campaign will be provided by a Statewide Steering Committee comprised of State Bar leaders, civil legal aid program directors, and private attorneys. The Statewide Steering Committee will be responsible for campaign planning and evaluation, guidance on messaging and policy development.
The ATJ Campaign is a unique campaign because it is a collaborative campaign raising money for a particular issue, civil legal aid for the poor, from a targeted audience, lawyers and law firms. The campaign requires collaboration with several legal aid organizations and effective relationships with local, regional and statewide law firms.
The Michigan State Bar Foundation provides leadership and grants to improve access for all to the justice system, including support for civil legal aid to the poor, law-related education, and conflict resolution. The MSBF administers the Access to Justice Campaign to increase resources for civil legal aid.
Overview of Campaign Coordinator Position
The Access to Justice (ATJ) Campaign seeks an experienced development professional with a strong commitment to helping low-income people obtain access to justice. The Access to Justice Campaign Coordinator will be an advisor and guide the Steering Committee and local committees to develop annual solicitation strategies, timelines and materials. The Campaign Coordinator will execute the solicitation plan with the various fundraising committees.
At this time, the Michigan State Bar Foundation will be hiring one experienced development professional. Employed by the Michigan State Bar Foundation, the position reports on a regular basis to the Foundation’s Executive Director and on a quarterly basis to the Statewide Campaign Steering Committee. Staff and other support will be available to assist the ATJ Fund Campaign Coordinator. As the campaign grows, expanding the staff for the ATJ Campaign will be considered. The position will require travel within Michigan; it will work out of Lansing, but there is flexibility for some telecommuting.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
Education, Experience and Skills
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
- Four or more years of relevant, successful experience in fund development in a nonprofit organization, or equivalent leadership experience in the nonprofit or business sector.
- Demonstrated experience in cultivating, managing and growing annual and major gifts.
- Confident, enthusiastic and flexible development professional who is comfortable working with lawyers, law firms and nonprofit legal aid programs.
- Experience organizing, motivating, managing, training and directing volunteers and Board Members
- Understanding of and commitment to, securing access to justice for low-income individuals, families and communities. The ideal candidate will hold as a core value fair and equal access to civil justice for the poor and vulnerable individuals.
- Strong experience in use and management of Raiser’s Edge or similar donor management software.
- Excellent oral and writing skills, including effective public speaking abilities and the ability to write concise proposals, reports and articles for a variety of audiences and stakeholders
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with partners and ability to problem solve if there are different opinions.
- Hard worker and selfstarter who will remain dedicated to long term success.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as an advisor and guide to the Statewide Steering Committee on questions related to the development, execution and evaluation of policies and goals for growing the Access to Justice Fund.
- Develops a thorough knowledge of each civil legal aid organization’s work and maintains a close working relationship with each organization.
- Leads, trains, coaches and works closely with several fundraising committees to develop and execute annual solicitation strategies, timelines and materials.
- Regularly analyzes the progress of the campaign and makes adjustments with the Steering Committee and fundraising committees to address concerns or opportunities.
- Enhance awareness of the need for civil legal aid and build support for the ATJ Fund. Coordinate messaging with the civil legal aid offices so that there is a shared and agreed upon message about the ATJ Fund and civil legal aid.
- Oversees the development of Campaign solicitation materials, donor communications, donor recognition, annual reports and web content.
- Develop ways to recognize and steward donors to strengthen their commitment and increase their donations; coordinate law firm recognition with related efforts.
- Ensure that all gifts are accurately tracked and timely acknowledged. Maintain appropriate records on donors, prospects and contacts.
- Provide quarterly and annual reports of fundraising activities and outcomes to the Statewide Steering Committee and assure accurate information as needed for regulatory, auditing and other required reporting.
- Fulfill other responsibilities as determined by the Michigan State Bar Foundation’s Executive Director and the Statewide Steering Committee.
Compensation and Benefits: Salary depends on experience. Excellent fringe benefits. Will include national trainings and conferences.
MSBF is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage minorities, women and persons with disabilities to apply.
Applications: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply before September 5, 2017. Please email cover letter, resume and a writing sample to ATJPosition@msbf.org.
Direct inquiries to:
Michigan State Bar Foundation
306 Townsend Street
Lansing, Michigan 48933